Tuesday, February 10, 2015

"A lecture that changed my life!" - Success story of a PG aspirant, Ibemcha Chanu

(This is an inspiring story of a fighter, Ibemcha Chanu who fought against all odds and depressing phases of life, to emerge as a winner in the AIPG 2015. It was a Thank you letter written to Dr. Rajeev Chitguppi whose lecture and counseling changed her outlook and her exam preparation strategy completely. Read it from her point of view....how she pursued her dream incessantly and accomplished her goal after a long phase of strife and struggle!)

Dear Sir,

I am so overwhelmed by emotions that I cannot stop writing and I consider myself a very lucky student to have got a chance to share my journey of success!




I’m from (may not be appropriate to use the word, but truly) a financially poor family, where I could dream only of getting into Govt colleges as they were the only affordable colleges for me, who lost Dad in internship and during internship I had to work clinics to support my education. Even the fees of Target Educare (Rs.17000/-) was a huge amount to me. But it was my duty to support my family and fulfil my dad’s dream of me doing higher education. I graduated and completed my internship in March 2012 from Govt Dental College, Patna.

With help from seniors, I began my preparation, I read whatever books I had, and then slowly started collecting MCQ books and reading more and more MCQs. I realized it much later that I was not doing it right, and that they were just piling on my memory. I came to know the appropriate term what I was doing then, from one of your lectures - “Getting familiar with the questions” was all that I was doing. I had collected all sorts of MCQs books – from ‘all’ authors – medical and dental, you name it and I had that book. I used to read some explanations too but mainly it mugging up so many answers, and by the time of AIPG 2013 my expectations were high believing I have done my part of hard work. But the result was a big disappointment.


RESULT:  My all India rank of AIPG 2013 was 1232.


Sir, an appropriate explanation for that result would be ‘I was calling a Wrong Number’ ---(PK MOVIE!)


Meanwhile, I got house job in RIMS Imphal, and started earning 50K per month, which was a good amount for me. I saved 17K and got Target Educare admission in June 2013. Being at my hometown Imphal with some network problems, many courier problems, even Target Educare Delhi could not ensure timely delivery of materials. I needed to work to earn money plus study, rarely I attended online lectures but used to give test series at my free time.


In hand there were two exams - AIIMS Nov, 2013 and AIPG 2014.


I continued with my same old study pattern plus Target tests, and by this time I had so many familiar questions in head along with bulks of previous years’ Q & A, so much that it seemed like my memory was full at times. And again…….it was a call at a wrong number. 


Result: AIIMS Nov 2013- Rank 295; AIPG 2014- Rank 444.




And I was just going down. Nothing was going right. But I consoled myself and didn’t give up. I knew I was going wrong somewhere, but didn’t know where. All I knew was I needed more time to study.

Move over to, May 2014, I shifted to my brother’s working place at Delhi, where I decided to involve myself into full time study and I was lucky that I got Target Educare Free login id again for online tests and lectures. I continued with my studies and appeared for Nov 2014 AIIMS. What was the result? To my horror, I was not even in the list of AIIMS Nov 2014. Now I was all blank, not knowing what to do, just waiting for a miracle to happen in the last two months before AIPG 2015


And there came the Online Lecture by Rajeev Sir….that was the turning point. These are those vital few points that I noted down during the lecture:  


1. A question asked in the lecture – “Are you putting all your efforts just to make yourself familiar with the questions or there was something more to it?”

Was I? A big self-question I asked myself after that lecture and also found the answer!
Ans:   A Big Yes!
Reasons: Why was I going wrong in easy fundamental questions?  Why was I was going wrong in questions which I had answer correct in a test a few months ago? Why? Coz I was not familiar with the concepts but just familiar with only the questions, which I used to store in my short term memory for the last 2 years and I was attempting other similar questions based on that short term memory which not helping me in long term- definitely a wrong number called again.

2. Second question asked in the lecture was “Do you just have a wish or a target that I can hit sure shot?”

Ans; Yes. I had a directionless goal and what I need was a target which I could hit. 

But the question was whether those 2 months would be enough to hit it? 

Now I can say Yes and YES, I DID IT SIR!


3. ASSETS:  The third question asked was “Are you building long term assets or some temporary assets and liabilities?”


Answer: I was living with some temporary assets that I was unable to use those when I needed them the most to help me. Again yes sir. I was more focused on momentary assets i.e. just the answers to the MCQs and not on the permanent assets i.e. the wonderful concepts to the questions - my life savers in AIPG were these assts. Thanks Sir.


4. DO I NEED TO KNOW ALL? —a big question again.

Not at all according to sir… You just need to be slightly better than others and this sentence struck me again and again as to how can I be better n now I after getting the rank, I think I’m slightly better J

5. WERE YOU EVER IN THE GAME? WAS THERE A STRATEGY? OR IT WAS JUST AN ABSENCE OF STRATEGY? 

Confused, blank and frustrated I called up Rajeev sir … it was like a counseling done from a long known friend. I said there are so few seats in AIIMS and so many people appearing. Sir said “How many seats do you need? Just one! So it doesn’t matter!” It was such a great relief!

He analyzed my situation “You have huge number of files in your head that’s sufficient enough to crack AIPG. What you require now is to just organize that matter into folders and subfolders which you can easily access in 3 hours of exam”… and this was from one of his lectures.


You said I can do it and be among the toppers. Thanks for your trust sir.


Ready to organize, no worry about test results on Target website, and with my thoughts on why I was unable to clear through all these years, I knew that it was  now or never situation with just about one and a half month in hand. I opened a synopsis, noted down only the chapter-wise topics of each subject. I knew that I couldn’t read all textbooks at that time.


I started reading chapter-wise explanations and concepts with soul motive of creating assets that could enable me to correlate subjects with the chapter I picked up. Now I was sure that with this method I wouldn’t go wrong in next exams in fundamentals and easy questions.



Organizing correlated chapters and organizing previous year AIIMS and AIPG MCQs on related topics, reduced my MCQ burden so much that it reduced the number of MCQs per day to about 50 to 100 ….and that was easy.



I don’t know why I felt so satisfied… even with pressure of nearing AIPG, my satisfaction was able to beat it. When you said “it’s never too late” what you really meant, I understand now.

Yes sir you are right there’s no easy or difficult paper; it’s just relativity of performance.


I didn’t attempt all and I didn’t know all.


I made mistakes in this exam too as a consequence of absence of my long term strategies but I’m so satisfied my assets folders helped me so much to beat those mistakes  and I’m happy that I’m through. I was happy after giving AIPG 2015 exam…and I was happy on exam day too.


I’m happy today because I trust my assets now and also because you trusted me. But my second thought is still …” Why I didn’t build my permanent assets n organize them before?  


This AIPG was neither easy nor tough it was a chance for me to test my assets n yes sir they helped me!


THANK YOU SO MUCH SIR!


Ibemcha Chanu

No comments: